(International Winter Break)
United Kingdom SHIPPING ONLY
International orders including ants will be cancelled
(5% Fee will be deducted if PayPal was used as PayPal do not refund fees)
Lasius niger (Black Garden Ant)
Very hardy beginner species. Perfect for beginners new to the hobby.
• Humidity requirements: 30–50%
• Temperature requirements: 15–30 °C
• Hibernation: October-March at 10°C
• Suggested housing: Acrylic, Ytong, 3D printed, soil, Lasius niger are very adaptable
• Nutrition: Sugars from honey or sugar water. Protein from insect sources such as fruit flies
• Colony size: 1-6,000 (colonies can grow rapidly)
• Queen size: 6–8 mm
• Worker size: 2–4 mm
• Monogyne/polygyne: Monogyne (One Queen per colony)
Lasius Niger, or the Black Garden Ant is commonly found through much of Europe, as well as parts of North America and North Africa. Their habitats vary greatly depending on the region in which they are found. In the UK, they are usually found nesting in gardens or cracks in pavements.
An excellent starter ant, they are incredibly adaptable, do not require special conditions and sleep through the winter. When starting out with just a queen or very small colony, resist the urge to buy big. Keep them in a small formicarium, as they are more comfortable in confined spaces.