Exciting fast growing species that is great to watch hunting
• Humidity requirements: 50-70%
• Temperature requirements: 21–24°C
• Hibernation: October-March at 5-8°C
• Suggested housing: Wakooshi Ant Farm Modules, Acrylic, Ytong, Soil, Very adaptable
• Nutrition: Sugars from honey or sugar water. Protein from insect sources such as fruit flies
• Colony size: 5000+ (colonies can grow extremely rapidly)
• Queen size: 11-13 mm
• Worker size: 6-9 millimeters
• Monogyne/polygyne: Polygyne (Can be multiple Queens per colony)
Warning: Carry a strong sting so handle with care.
Often mistaken with Myrmica Rubra these are a larger species that carry a quite strong sting. They form large colonies and require both a high intake of insects and a high level of humidity. This species loves protein. Provide this in the form of insects such as fruit flies, mealworms, crickets, beetles.