Messor Aciculatus (Harvester Ant)
Very interesting larger species with are Seed eaters
• Humidity requirements: 50 – 60%
• Temperature requirements: 18 – 26 °C
• Hibernation: November-February at 15°C
• Suggested housing: Wakooshi Ant Farm Modules, Acrylic, Ytong, soil.
• Nutrition: They mainly eat seeds which they grind down to make ant bread. Sugars from honey or sugar water. Protein from insect sources.
• Colony size: ~10,000
• Queen size: 10 mm
• Worker size: 4-5 mm
• Monogyne/polygyne: Polygyne (Can be multiple Queen per colony)
This species collects all kinds of small seeds and chews them into ant bread. Most of their water-requirements are covered through seeds and insects. Honey water is only accepted when there is a lack of moisture. Messor aciculatus tends to drown in open water so it is necessary to cover water places with little stones or cotton.