Messor Capitatus (Harvester Ant)
Very interesting larger species with special extra large workers. Seed eaters
• Humidity requirements: 50 – 60%
• Temperature requirements: 18 – 26 °C
• Hibernation: November-February at 15°C
• Suggested housing: Wakooshi Ant Farm Modules, Acrylic, Ytong, soil.
• Nutrition: They mainly eat seeds which they grind down to make ant bread. Sugars from honey or sugar water. Protein from insect sources.
• Colony size: 1-10,000
• Queen size: 14–18 mm
• Worker size: 3–9 mm
• Major size: 9–14 mm
• Monogyne/polygyne: Monogyne (One Queen per colony)
When the colony reaches a decent size, they will produce larger workers (Majors). Can number up to a few thousand individuals
Colonies of this species are one of the easiest to maintain, due to its seeds-based diet. They collect seeds and so they have enough food stored for months. You have to be careful because sometimes the seeds could germinate, so if you slightly chop them, you can be sure they will not germinate, specially when the colony is still young and there are not many workers.