Myrmica Rubra (European Fire Ant)
Exciting fast growing species that is great to watch
• Humidity requirements: 30–50%
• Temperature requirements: 15–30 °C
• Hibernation: October-March at 15°C
• Suggested housing: Wakooshi Ant Farm Modules, Acrylic, Ytong, Soil, Very adaptable
• Nutrition: Sugars from honey or sugar water. Protein from insect sources such as fruit flies
• Colony size: 1-10,000+ (colonies can grow extremely rapidly)
• Queen size: 5–6 mm
• Worker size: 4-5 millimeters
• Monogyne/polygyne: Polygyne (Can be multiple Queens per colony)
Warning: Carry a mild sting so handle with care.
Myrmica Rubra, or the European Fire Ant, is a semi easy species to keep. They form large colonies with multiple queens and require both a high intake of insects and a high level of humidity. Queen Can easily be mistaken for a worker but still has a larger thorax and abdomen fitting of an ant queen. This species loves protein. Provide this in the form of insects such as fruit flies, mealworms, crickets, beetles.
To see what species will be arriving soon please check our
Before ordering please carefully read our Alive Arrival Guarantee
Prize Hint: Its one of the common sp of Lasius in UK